Wildlife Vegeatations &animals
- VIRGIN VEGETATION: Also known as “Endemic or Indigenous” species, refers to plant community which has, Grown naturally without human aid & has been undisturbed by human race.
- BIOME: An ecosystem or land having distinct types of vegetation and animal life.
- Factors affecting Vegetation Growth:
- Tropical Evergreen Forest:
- Regions: Western Ghats, Island groups of Lakshadweep, Andaman & Nicobar, Assam, Tamil Nadu.
- Trees here Reach upto height of 60 meters, only region where tree’s remain green throughout the year.
- Region is warm and wet.
- Vegetation covered: Ebony, Mahogany, Rosewood, Rubber, and Cinchona.
- Species found: elephants, monkey, lemur and deer,
One horned Rhinoceros, birds, bats, sloth, Scorpions, snails.
- B) Tropical Deciduous Forests:
- Known as “Monsoon forests”.
- Found in: Rainfall prone area, (200-270 cm)
- Moist & dry deciduous forests.
Moist deciduous forest:
- Regions: having Rainfall upto( 200&100 cm)
- Areas: North-Eastern States, Himalayan regions, Jharkhand, Western Orissa,
- Vegetation Covered: Teak, Bamboos, Sal, Shisham, sandalwood, Khair, Kusum, Arjun, and Mulberry.
Dry- deciduous Forest:
- Regions: (100&70 cm) prone rainfall area, peninsular plateau, Plains of Bihar & U.P
- Vegetation Found: Teak, Sal, Peepal, Neem growth.
- Species: Lion, Tiger, Deer, Pig, deer, Elephant, birds, Lizards, Snakes. Tortoise.
- C) Tropical Thorn Forests & Scrubs:
- Regions: Rainfall Scanty area, (< 70 cm ), North-West Parts of country, semi-arid places, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Chhatisgarh, U.P, Haryana.
- Vegetation Found; Acacias, Palms, Euphorbias, Cacti.
- Species: Rats, Mice, Rabbit, Fox, Wolf, Tiger, Lion, Wild Ass, Horses, and Camels.
- d) Montane Forests:
- Regions: Mountainous Regions, J&K, Himachal Pradesh
- For Regions having height above 1000 metres; Vegetation Found : Oak, Chest –Nut.
- For Regions having height above 1500 meters, Vegetation Found: Pine, Deodar, Silver Fir, Spruce, and Cedar.
- For Regions having height 3600 ms: Mainly Alpine Vegetation is found; Silver-fir, Junipers, pines, Birches.
- For Regions having height above 13600 meters,
Vegetation Found: Mosses, Lichens.
- Species found in Montane Forest: Kashmir Stag, Spotted Deer, wild Sheep, Jack, Rabbit, Antelope, Yak, Snow- leopard, Squirrels, Shaggy Horn Wild- Libex . Goats.
- e) Mangrove Forests:
- Regions: Generally found in areas of Coastal Plains where Silting & Mud get accumulated, Deltas of Ganga, Mahanadi, Krishna, Godavari, Kaveri.
Vegetation covered: Palm, Coconut, Keora, Agar, Hand – timber.
- Species: Royal Bengal Tiger, Turtle, Crocodile, Gharials, Snakes.
- Important Point to note about Mangrove Forests: Dense Mangrove are common varieties with roots submerged under root.